The latest end-of-September/beginning-of-October fishing reports indicate that Sanctuary RV Resort favorites redfish, snook, and snapper are in abundance off the coast, and they are biting! Cooling temperatures don’t have to mean an end to the fun that Sanctuary and Bonita Springs, FL, have to offer. If you’re heading our way to camp and take your boat or a chartered trip onto the water, here’s some tips!
- Snook season just opened on September 1, a boon for fisherfolk! Snook can make for an exciting catch, as many fight hard and jump on the line.
- The jury is out on snook appetites. Many fishermen swear by live bait, while others swear that snook prefer an easy, dead meal.
- If you use live bait, try shrimp, pilchards, mullet, or sardines, but any small fish will do to capture the snook’s attention.
- If using dead bait, think big! Try mullet heads or ladyfish halves fished on the bottom.
- Fish near docks and mangroves, and be sure to test waters during different stages of tide, or try fishing at night near the full moon.
- Fresh cut mullet is a popular bait for redfish, but pinfish also renders positive results on the water! Our area is great for catching baitfish by the netful!
- These popular fish are easiest to catch first thing in the morning in shallows or later in the afternoon in deeper waters.
- Redfish, along with other popular catches, cling close to docks, mangroves, any other structure, and ambush bait quickly. As summer draws to an end, numbers are only increasing, with water temperatures lingering around the 80s!
- Don’t forget, Red October is coming!
- Stay near the shore for the best snapper bite.
- The biggest snappers can be caught after sunset, with chum in the water to get them good and hungry for your line.
- Pilchards, pinfish, and shrimp make great live bait for snappers, but with enough chum, lures are also likely to bring in a good haul.
As always, be sure to check on regulations for numbers, weights, and licenses.
Have you had success snagging snook, redfish, or snapper recently around Bonita Springs? Tell us all about it on our Facebook page! Ready to book your next stay at Sanctuary? Book entirely online or give us a call, and don’t forget to check our current specials!